Friday, July 23, 2021

Irma Thomas - Down At Muscle Shoals '67(1984)Chess P-Vine Japan-Rare Soul

Irma went down to Muscle Shoals for two sessions in June and July '67,which were
produced by Rick Hall.She was backed by the usual bunch of Muscle Shoals players in
those days,Jimmy Johnson(guitar),Roger Hawkins(drums),Spooner Oldham(keyboards),
David Hood(bass)and of course The Muscle Shoals horns.
Thomas' brief liaison with Chess in 1967 saw her,like labelmates,record in Muscle
Shoals' Fame studios to tap into the southern/deep soul grooves that were one of
the hottest tickets in soul music at the time.Commercially,these sessions weren't
a success.
In those days Irma also had many female rivals at Chess,Etta James,Mitty Collier,
Laura Lee,Fontella Bass.
She said "I don't consider them as rivals.There were just a lot of females out at
the time.I never consider another artist my rival,because that artist does what he
or she does and I do what I do.We're all in the business, and as far as the
competition goes we don't feel like we're competing with anyone,because the market
is there and if it's produced and promoted properly,the general public will decide
who they're gonna buy."... Shame they did not release this at the time ?...Wonderful Soul!

AMM

                                                                                 THE TASTER BELOW!


                                                                 TRACKS ON BACK COVER BELOW




10 comments:

pedro B said...

Thanks All Music Man I think I needed this as today was not the best for me But a great review with some top class backing

Cheers Pedro

bostig said...

You can't get enough of Irma. Timeless soul🎸🎸🎸

gmortars said...

I adore Irma Thomas. I think she has simply the warmest, gentlest voice of them all. Thanks, AMM!

RMstorm said...

Irma is a treasure. Thanks AMM.

Guy said...

A great review, thanks

soul quinquin said...

Still the perfect choice. An excellent singer that I have too. Good evening my friend.
Soul Quinquin

tennessee boy said...

I love this female artist. Thanks for this post !

richsoul said...

Great female artist, a true soul sister that can be enjoyed by all if they only knew how great she was.

reb.jukebox said...

thanks for this fine share
Reb

renald said...

Thanks for the opportunity to review Irma Thomas. Thanks AMM.