Saturday, July 23, 2022

Various Artists - Movements Vol 1 - 14 Deep Funk Pearls (2005) CD - Rare Funk (FLAC)

This is a very rare series of soul/funk gems from germany,11 volumes in total of deep funk.The Movements series started in 2004 when Tobias Kirmayer released his first compilation on Munich’s Perfect Toy Records. here,s what the man himself says..... "Perfect Toy Records is a label focusing on creative musicians of the Jazz, Funk and Rare Groove scene around the globe. Run by Munich based DJ, Jazzman and former Spinning Wheel Records  head Marcus Hacker, his new label features both old school sounds from the past and present productions. After Departure of Marcus Hacker the label was absorbed for a short period by Jerker Kluge. Today it is run by a collective of record collectors and DJs. There were three people in the beginning who brought me into funk.and hiphop. Most importantly was my brother. he was listening to all the dope hiphop acts like Jungle Brothers, Brand Nubian, Cypress Hill, and older stuff like Grandmaster Flash, Spoonie Gee, as well as funk artists like James Brown and Kool & The Gang, to name only a few. After listening constantly to his records (and compact discs!) I found myself totally into these sounds. The second guy who put me in the right direction toward funk was Fritz Egner. Fritz had a weekly radio show in the early '90s called "Black Friday." it was broadcast on Bayern 3, a radio station under public law! Playing mostly standard soul and funk tunes, sometimes I heard those so-called "rare groove" tracks. I remember exactly when he said: "There is a new compilation out there called 'The Sound Of Funk, Vol. 1'." The song he played from it was no other than Leroy & The Drivers' "The Sad Chicken." I was like..."damn, what the f**k is this!? I must get this compilation." I bought it only a few days later. Immediately after getting it home, I was hooked to the rare groove sound. I couldn't believe there were so many good tracks on one album. Damn! Over the next three years, I bought every compilation released; The Sound Of Funk, Luv 'n' Haight, not forgetting all the bootleg comps, too. All of these people (My Brother, Fritz Egner, The Desco (later Daptone) Crew and others) have influenced me regarding the style and quality of how good funk should sound. I remember well when I bought 'The Meters' "People Say" 45RPM single for 12 Deutsch Marks (about $8). After leaving the shop with the 45 in my hands, I kept thinking how crazy I was to buy a 7" single for 10 Deutsch Marks! Funny, ain't it? And that was only the beginning...Most of my knowledge regarding soul/funk 45s and albums came from those compilations. You can imagine that that became costly, but now, several years later, I am very happy that it happened like that". From vol 3 onwards all released on Tramp.You might find it hard to get these anywhere online without forking out your cash,but thanks to another very good friend of the blog here thay are!...DAMN this IS a good blog!...Even i,m starting to get it!

AMM & Tobias Kirmayer

                                                             Entire Series Courtesy Of PUW

                                                                        The Tasters!




17 comments:

RMstorm said...

Thanks PUW. I had one or two of this series - nice to see the rest.

CanoMan said...

Interesting background story and thanks for sharing this review

pedro B said...

Great review from AMM and Tobias Kirmayer pretty in depth review more music to my ears Thanks Pedro

richsoul said...

Thanks AMM & Tobias Kirmayer, the review is top quality. Thank you once again for delivering the goods. Thank you AMM

PeterH said...

I've got all the "Movements" compilations - great stuff" Thanks for review, P.

Anghellic67$ said...

Great Review Thank you AMM

gmortars said...

Wahoo! Wahoo! Wahoo! (translation: Thanks, PUW and AMM!)

Big Dave said...

Wunderbar... Many thanks PUW & AMM for the review

BigD

hakase said...

i also have this nice series but 10 vols and all @320! thank you PUW & AMM

reb.jukebox said...

thanks PUW and AMM for this fine looking series
Reb

Carlos Uria said...

Thank you AMM & Tobias Kirmayer for this collection!!

Bill said...

Thought I had these! They must be hiding on a HD somewhere, everyday I lose something, must be my age. THANK YOU AMM & Tobias Kirmayer for reviewing this!

Arty said...

Yes please, AMM. A gem of a series.

Rush said...

Thanks AMM and Tobias Kirmayer for the review

Lordchester said...

great to start the week in a funky way.

Smokey said...

AMM and Tobias Kirmayer for this review. Nice tasters.

Soulsville said...

Hi AMM,

Thanks for this good looking documentary