Saturday, August 5, 2023

Pearl Woods – Sippin' Sorrow (With A Spoon) Rare and Unreleased New York City Rhythm and blues 1958-1965 (2004) Night Train International - Rare R&B/Soul (MP3)

I,ve been diggin thru some back up CD,s i made (including scans) when i sold albums or got rid of them for what ever reason so i thought you guys might be interested in some of them....Pearl Woods was a very talented Singer, producer and songwriter, born in 1933 in South Carolina & passed in 2010 in Texas. She moved to New York in 1951 where she met and married her songwriting partner Freddy Johnson and turned to religion in 1973 becoming a lay minister and a nurse. Woods released several R&B singles during the late 1950s/early 1960s. She is also a songwriter, best known for (co-)composing Etta James "Something's Got A Hold On Me" in 1962. Together with her husband she owned Pearl Tone Records.I became aware of her talents by collecting some of her 45,s and hearing some great dancers on the Northern scene,again like so many of her contemporaries a powerhouse of a voice. On this album are tracks she recorded with ray Pollard & the wanderers & Little richards backing band The Upsetters, Superb stuff!!!

AMM


                                                                       The Tasters!







22 comments:

Anghellic67$ said...

Great Review Thank you AMM

soultime said...

Tasters sound great , i cant wait to hear it in full .

UNKNOWN said...

As Soutime...NICE tasters..Can`t wait to hear the whole album!
Cheers!
Bill

oldsoulrebel said...

Another good singer I'd forgotten all about, thanks for reminding me AMM

gmortars said...

If you keep posting stuff like this I'm gonna stick with you! 😎
Thanks, AMM!

RMstorm said...

Thanks AMM - even your back up CDs are appreciated here.

tsi&hrjs said...

Sounds great! Thank you AMM.

trinity said...

Another better review mate. - thank you

Ray said...

Thanks for another good review AMM

Little Bill said...

This looks like my favorite staff thanks a lot AMM!

Guy said...

Thanks for your review

bigcravings said...

Very nice one.

PeterH said...

This one is unknown to me, and I hope I will enjoy it. Thanks for review, P.

USMAN47 said...

Like you, I have some good singles, so this CD interests me a lot!!!

Thanks AMM

Yves

hakase said...

thanks AMM

pedro B said...

Great review of this forgotten lady great voice Thanks AMM

Cheers Pedro

reb.jukebox said...

looks good AMM many thanks Reb

richsoul said...

She does have a great voice. Tasters are good. Thank you AMM.

DrHepcat said...

I was Sippin Sorrow when I looked and realized all I had was a few singles by Mz Woods! Thanks AMM!

Guitarradeplastico,scraping oddities said...

Many thanks for the digging,another new for me

Rush said...

Not familiar with Pearl Woods, thanks for the review

Lordchester said...

Tasters sound real good, I've never heard of her before, thanks for introducing AMM